How To Prevent The Excel Error Message For A Missing Add-in
I’ve run into this issue numerous times and I just figured out how to prevent the dreaded error message from popping up when Excel opens stating:
Sorry, we couldn’t find add-in [insert add-in name]. Is it possible it was moved, renamed or deleted? – Microsoft Excel
How To Prevent This
First you will want to note the file path that Excel thinks the add-in should be located in and the name of the add-in file. Once you know where that folder is located and the name of the add-in, proceed to do the following:
- Create a new Excel file
- Save the file with the following conditions:
- Use the Add-in name
- Use the Excel file extension “.xlam” (if it is an older add-in it might need to be “.xla”)
- Save to the same folder path
- Once you have saved this new faux add-in file, close down Excel
- Reopen Excel and hopefully you won’t receive the error message
- Go into your Excel Add-ins dialog box and check the add-in and hit Ok
- Go back into you Excel Add-ins dialog box and uncheck the add-in and hit OK
- Close out of Excel
You should now be able to go and delete the faux Excel add-in file and not see the error message going forward. Yay!!
After 10+ years of creating macros and developing add-ins, I've compiled all the hacks I wish I had known years ago!
How To Ensure Your Microsoft Office VBA Add-in File Is Installed & Loaded
What This VBA Code Does There may be times when you want to incorporate code from your add-ins into other...
How To Add A Center Across Selection Button To Excel’s Home Ribbon Tab
Why Center Across? I am a huge advocate for using the Excel functionality of Center Across Selection instead of Merge...
Chris is a finance professional and Excel MVP recognized by Microsoft since 2016. With his expertise, he founded TheSpreadsheetGuru blog to help fellow Excel users, where he shares his vast creative solutions & expertise. In addition, he has developed over 7 widely-used Excel Add-ins that have been embraced by individuals and companies worldwide.